All original photos belong to Melissa Hamersma Sievers, Sieversma Photography. Linked images as reference will be cited.

Prints of many of these images are for sale.

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Be Present in the Moment

I appreciate people who have the patience and drive to hunt wildlife and gather food. I haven't done it. I like to think that photography is similar in nature, minus the harvesting of game. Photographing lightening is sort of like fishing. There may be strikes happening all around you... But you have to pick a spot, aim your camera and cast your line.



I have the problem of wanting to rush around to a different spot... only to see strikes happening where I was just set up.

Other similarities include these tips: 1. You have to know your target/subject. 2. Be prepared. 3. Be patient. 4. Enjoy the moment even if you don't bag a trophy.

For more than ten years, I've been trying to photograph bald eagles. I haven't travelled to Yankton to see them along the river because I'm not familiar with their pattern there. I may have to try it this year. I know that near where I grew up in Union County, South Dakota, bald eagles typically visit toward the end of February and into March. Whenever the snow thaw begins, geese come into the area and eagles are right behind. That's where and when I tend to photograph them, in cottonwoods over the fields and local creeks.

When they are in the area, I try to drive over in the morning on my way to work and just before sunset after work. Last year was the first year that I noticed them in the Vermillion River valley. This was way more convienent for me, I could look for them as my son and I commuted to town. The problem was that I would only ever see them when I was not equipped with a DSLR camera and long lens. This setting was the most picturesque that I'd experinced. I'd see one perched above the water as I drove by. Sometimes I'd stop and turn the car around to watch for a bit.

Even though the eagles flew off months ago, I still scan the river as we drive by. It's been really pretty lately as the trees have been turning.

Am I right?



Except that something caught my eye:



Do you see it?



Patches of white tend to readily catch my eye, even if they are small... The thing is, I've never seen bald eagles in the area at this time of year. I will admit that I am not an expert.

I am glad that I was able to take a snapshot to share my sighting with you today, but I was really sad that I didn't have my big camera and an appropriate lens. I was not prepared.

But, it is another lesson for me. I need to be more patient and try my best to be more prepared. Most importantly, I need to enjoy the moment. This bird was in the prettiest setting that I could hope for, fall all around and I didn't have 'my camera'. I didn't bag a 'trophy shot'. But, the bird stayed still long enough to turn the car around, roll down the window and fire a shot just to prove that it was there. Then I was able to step out of my car and watch for a few moments. I maybe could have gotten my son out of the vehicle too. When he is older, I look forward to pointing things like this out to him too.

I don't know how long this bird will be around. It seems like where there is one, there is probably another one or two in the region. I hope to be better prepared next time.

In the mean time, I am thankful for the opportunity to experience a majestic scene. And I will try to live more in that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment