All original photos belong to Melissa Hamersma Sievers, Sieversma Photography. Linked images as reference will be cited.

Prints of many of these images are for sale.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Thanks John!!

Morningside College in Sioux City, IA is my alma mater. I chose Mass Communication and Graphic Design as my majors. Photography was my minor. I loved the school. It was quaint and my professors all knew me, even the instructors who only shared a single class. A couple weeks ago I went back over homecoming weekend to help celebrate one wonderful instructor. John Bowitz was the head of the Art Department when I was a student. Fast forward a decade, plus a couple years. Now John is stepping away from his time teaching hundreds of students in this facility. Loads of artists have put charcoal to paper and brush to canvas under John's instruction and displayed their work in the gallery. Over the summer work highlighting John's career was placed on display. His past students, colleagues and friends gathered at a reception on Homecoming weekend.  


John, I wish that I could have really listened to your speech more thoroughly. My son wanted to explore the gallery and check out the art work too.

 
 
 
 
I did appreciate his reflection on the early days teaching art history.  While it was a subject lacking in his favor, he began to appreciate the subject as he became more immersed in the subject. I'm glad.   I always appreciated his willingness to take the time to chat with me or answer any questions that I may have.   I didn't get to take many classes with him other than Art History. I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to be in that classroom the fall of my sophomore year.  I studied in Europe the following semester. How wonderful to actually see things that I already viewed on the pages of a textbook.

 
My drawing instructor, Terri McGaffin also shared her memories of John at the beginning of her career at Morningside. John had explained that teaching technical skill and accuracy is important. Allowing a student to explore ideas is equally, and perhaps more important.  A person may not remember everything learned during four years of college. A person does remember how to learn, explore concepts and overcome challenges.

Terri McGaffin and Shannon Seargeant worked over the prior year to contact as many former students as possible, inviting them to participate. We were all asked to submit a piece of artwork that could be placed in a three ring binder and presented to John as a gift. 

 


Morningside

John, thanks for all that you have done and continue to do for art education. My first trip to a city was the Art Club's weekend in Chicago my freshman year. I still love the smell of art supplies. I plan to continue making art and trying to spread the love to others. I look forward to seeing the work that you put forth during retirement.

I know many of your former students wish that they could have attended your show as well. 

May you always have a blank piece of canvas or paper or wood or a couch at your disposal!! :D

Morningside

No comments:

Post a Comment